Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Trailer and Next Genre...

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments on the last post! There was a lot of encouraging comments, funny comments, etc. It was great to read them. (My favorite was, "...I won't be able to go on that ride again without a 12 gauge.") Haha. So right now, I'm going to answer three questions from the comments...

Question #1, from everlastingscribe: Here's a challenge for you, Jon along the same lines. Could you give this footage a sound track? 



I am loving this challenge! I really want to give it a try. (Honestly though, my only problem is time... I don't know how long it would take me to do the whole clip). That being said, I might just do the first minute or two. Thank you for the challenge! Hopefully, I'll get a chance to do it. If I do, I'll be sure to post it here.

Question #2 and #3, from GREG AND MONICA:
          2. Is there any way I can get [your music] on my iPod so I can listen to it more? You can always buy my music on my website, but in all honesty, that's a pain. I'm hoping to get my music onto iTunes in the distant future to make getting my music easier. I'll let you guys know when that happens...
          3. I believe you said you've read Dragons in our Midst. Do you think you could write a piece for that?  I love Dragons in Our Midst. When I first started composing, I only wrote for Narnia and Dragons in our Midst. I have a bunch of old songs that are specifically for Dragons in Our Midst that I might post one day. Honestly, they are a little cheesy because of how old they are. I have been getting requests to do music for Bryan Davis' books, so I might one day either redo some of my old songs or compose something completely new. We'll see... (Interesting fact: go to the very first page of Eye of the Oracle, and near the bottom of the page, I did one of the endorsements... I just like to throw that out there... haha).

I hope that answers your questions. Please feel free to ask me more!


So, on top of being into film composing, I also dabble in video editing. I decided to make a book trailer for The Kingdom Keepers. Sure, it's a little cheesy, but hey, it was fun to make. Let me know what you think!



Enjoy the cheesiness...

So, I hate to not post any "original music", so here is some. I wrote this piece to a book called Dormia, which by the way is such a great book! The song kind of drags on, but when I was composing it, I wanted to "sound completely different". Let me know what you think! 

Dormia by Jon M.

And finally, the next genre. What is next??? According to the poll...

1. Action/Adventure and Celtic [tie for 1st]
2. Ethnic/African
3. Spy
4. Western
5. Jazz, Romantic Comedy, and Other [tie for last]

So, here's what I'll do: I'll compose the Action/Adventure piece first, and then I'll do the Celtic. (Or maybe vice-versa, depending on if I get writer's block... haha). Once I do, I'll post it. I have winter break this coming week, so I'm hoping to do some "hard-core composing"... is that even possible??? I guess we'll see!

Thanks for listening,

Jonathan Maiocco

P.S. I want to compose a complete soundtrack for a book/book-series. Any suggestions? (Personally, I think 100 Cupboards would be pretty cool... or maybe House of Dark Shadows [which I've already done some of...]... or maybe even The Kingdom Keepers). I want to hear your thoughts.

10 comments:

  1. Hmm, I think you should read Kerry Nietz's books, A Star Curiously Singing, and The Superlative Stream, if you haven't. If you do, could you try to compose a piece or two for those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. But House of Dark Shadows would be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you think about doing a paranormal/alien themed piece, like the x-files tracks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I know this is a lot of comments, but I really enjoy those selections you have on the Mixpod widget! They are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your music! it's really some of my favorite ever! I'm thinking you should try 100 Cupboards since you've already done DHK. Anyways, have you checked if Amazon.com would work for selling your music?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for answering my questions!!!! Nice trailer, I REALLLLLLYYYYYY REALLY want to try those books! Do you have any tips for a wannbe composer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jon! Nice book trailer! I would have loved to see the dolls go bad. :P lol

    Anyway, I'd love to talk to you sometime soon. Are you on skype? I couldn't seem to find you. If not, then maybe you can email me and set up a time to chat on NW. :D

    - Leighton

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog. Great music! I especially liked the piece you composed for the book Dormia.

    ~ Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dormia is beautiful, I can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that book! I haven't read it yet though... it's been on my "to read" list for several months. But I'll get there soon.

    Another beautiful piece. I seriously love your music. This reminds me of the music for Narnia... as does the end of that Celtic Piece you did... and let me tell you, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE NARNIA SOUNDTRACK! Favorite music ever. Just sayin'. ^_^ And this really makes me think of that... 2+2 lol! :D

    ReplyDelete