Saturday, June 18, 2011

Beyond Death

Hey everyone.
So, I've been having computer problems. Blah. Which is another way of saying that I took a short break from composing. I had to get my hard drive reconfigured, which is never a good thing. I had all my music (like, my music) on a separate hard drive, so it was fine. But everything else (like my pics, iTunes files, etc.) was deleted. Whoops.
That was last week. Within the week, I've slowly gotten everything almost back to normal. (Right now, I'm still downloading sound libraries... no fun).
Before all of that happened, I bought new software using the money that I was given from the Lynn Freeman Olson contest. It's called Hollywood Strings (by East West). It's a really intense string software that sounds awesome. I spent the last couple of days playing with it, and came up with this song... and you guessed it, it's trailer music. Let me know what you think!

Beyond Death by Jon M.

NOTE: I didn't compose all of this using Hollywood Strings only. I used Hollywood Strings on top of what I normally use.
I'm still trying to get a hang of the software. I feel like I could've done this song differently... like mixing, etc. (And should I have added in that drum set? And should I have done the ending differently??? Hmm...) But whatever. Hope you like it!
I'm almost done with the next Arabian piece... hopefully I'll post it soon.

Thanks for listening,

Jonathan Maiocco

P.S. I have decided that I want to compose a complete trailer music album and put it onto iTunes, hopefully by the end of summer. What do you think?

11 comments:

  1. I really like it! The strings are an awesome new addition. Looking forward to the Arabian piece!

    I would certainly be interested in a trailer album :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! :D can so see this in a movie trailer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very, very good! I followed my daughter, Squeaks, over and I must say you are very talented.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would pay good money for a CD of your "trailer music," Jon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jon. EPIC beauty! You gave me CHILLS!!!!! The power and the emotion is sweeping!!!!! I LOVE the music and I LOVE what you called it.

    So glad your computer is on the recoup! It's so nasty when they drop and die on you.
    *goes and backs up all important files* Thank you for the reminder. :)

    Have a wonderful evening...and I would get an itunes account just to purchase some of your music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! That is absolutely epic music! I'm amazed at how much programs can do these days :P I never realized that one could do this till now :P

    Yep, I've hands-down decided that this music is absolutely epic :D *clicks follower link* I'm excited to browse through your archives now and check out other songs!!

    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job there, Mister Maestro ;)
    I like it, but it's not the best I've heard. But definitely still great. (I could totally tell you were have mixing probs, though ;)
    Mom and I were thinking that the drums were a little too loud, though. I didn't mind the drums, but they stuck out a little too much.

    Anyway, I still loved it and you're still awesome :D

    Can't wait for the next Arabian, and putting an album on iTunes sounds utterly fantabulous. DO IT! :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hm,

    Ok, the song really didn't grip me. At all. It had a nice beginning, say through 40. At that point it dragged on too far, the music needs to be *doing* something. That's my complaint with this song, it was repetitive, which is *not* of a bad thing! But--it did nothing. It marooned itself on the repetition rocks.

    Then at 1:35 the song changed TRASTICALLY, you were "doing" something....but it again went repetitive. Adding the drums at 1:60 helped, I liked them, but again the song just seemed to go on "loop".

    As a listener(Almost said reader :P) I want to be taken somewhere. Transported...but not stuck.

    Anyway, keep up the work Jon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I love this piece! It is a bit repetitive, but I still like it. I would definetly buy your album if you put it on itunes. I liked the ending. The drumset was nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked the drums a lot but thought the choir was a bit loud. Nice title. Completing an album sounds like a fabulous plan: if you actually want to though, there is only 8 weeks left of the summer, so stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect music for a trailer :D the repetition (with building tension) keeps the focus on the trailer material :D I can see this being used for a great number of things! Bravah!

    I came back to comment again because I really, really enjoy the part when the drums really come in. That moment is really surreal, I love it :D

    ReplyDelete