Sunday, August 14, 2011

T.B.D.

Words of wisdom: never update to the newest version of a software till you know for sure that everything you use on a daily basis will work with it.
I updated to OS X Lion (Apple's "most advanced desktop operating system") and as it turns out, none of my music software works on it. So now I'm back to the basics. I erased my main hard drive, re-installed the original operating system, and right now, I'm installing all my music software. Some of my sound libraries take three-four full days to install. I'll be busy for a while... but not all hope is lost. I still have my laptop to compose on. (But I can't transfer songs between computers, so I can't work on the Comedy or Sci-Fi piece till my main computer is back up and running.)
College starts this Monday (the 22nd). Am I nervous? Eh... no. I just hope I can learn to balance everything. Quickly.
This past week, my family and I went to Panama for a family vacation. It was very nice. Six hour car ride both ways = composing time on laptop. I couldn't think of what to compose though. So, I decided to just... compose. No direction, no inspiration. I just wanted to see where the music would take me. You could say I doodled (musically) for six hours. This is what I came up with:

[song taken down. if you must hear it, just leave a comment or shoot me an email. but you're not missing out on much haha...]

I honestly don't know what to name it. That's why I called it T.B.D. Any name ideas?
Let me know what you think of it! ("It" being only a doodle...) What does it make you think of?
Since college is starting soon, it might be a while before I post next! So, until then...

Thanks for listening,

Jonathan Maiocco

10 comments:

  1. That stinks about the upgrade to Lion! I've waited to update to see how things pan out first, since I'm completely happy with Snow Leopard anyway. So was Logic one of the programs that didn't work with Lion? I've got Logic now (I'm a total noob!), and I guess I shouldn't update if it has problems with Lion, right?

    College? Oh yeah. I start next week, too. *high five*

    About the musical "doodle":
    As always, I'm in awe of your crazy composing skills. O.o The beginning and the end both gave me honest-to-goodness shivers... that's a good thing. Honestly, the first thing I thought of was Tron. Heheh. Immediately after that I thought of Jason Bourne. So... I guess that makes it kind of a techno/sci-fi/thriller piece. :D

    Title ideas:
    Repercussions
    Gridlock
    Megalopolis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't think of a title. "Defiance of fear" or maybe just "Defiance" .. ? What sort of words come to mind when you hear the piece?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evergreena- I love your suggestions, especially Repercussions.

    I'm not very good at naming my compositions. I usually don't actually... I really liked it though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I just found your blog through EFC's--I'm into film scores too--I don't write any, but I love listening to them and I know a young composer in person.

    Anyway, I had a name for your piece (which I enjoyed!) I though "Approaching Doom" matched the music good, as it sounds--from a film perspective---like some bad guys are taking ground right before a climax. Just an idea.

    Glad to have found your blog; I'll be listening to the rest of you compositions in the near future. :)

    ~Jamie Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Few things to say.

    1. I'm sorry about that Lion complication!

    2. Hope college starts off well and you won't be too busy to compose!

    3. TBD sounds a lot like the Inception soundtrack by Zimmer. Thus, I suggest the title Deeper Down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a somewhat random name, but I suggest calling it "Awaiting the Dawn." You can feel the tension building throughout the song. It reminds me of an intense night before a major conflict, waiting, not knowing what was going to happen next! Awesome song!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE it! What about "The Lurking Danger"? I also like Jamie Jouce's suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very cool. The first thing I thought of when I heard it was the old sci-fi film "Blade Runner". Your composition would work perfectly with that movie.

    Title suggestion? "Search and Destroy".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Listened to this song for the second time... it is SOOO AMAZING!!!! Name wise, I really like the Ink Slinger's idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And... You'll be majoring in Music I suppose? ;)

    Great major, btw. haha! But then again, I'm kind of biased. ^_^

    Good luck with getting all of your info back on your computer and everything running smoothly again!! :)

    (Now I should probably go listen to the song, huh... hehe!)

    ReplyDelete