Sunday, November 6, 2011

My Story

Wow, it's been a long time since I last posted. Sorry for the wait. College is very time consuming.
I realized that I've been posting music and just talking on and on and on... and you probably don't know anything about me. Life story. Age. How I started writing. Etc. So, lets start at the beginning...
Quick Facts:
  • Born October 29th, 1993. So yes, I just turned 18. 
  • Second oldest in my family. 
  • I have two brothers, one sister, and two great parents. 
  • I've lived in Atlanta my whole life. 
  • I am currently a sophomore in college.
I started composing about the age of 12. But as of then it was only a hobby. A lot of the first pieces I wrote were inspired by Narnia. Here's a piece called The Spell Begins to Break. (It's one of the first pieces I composed). Warning: not only did I steal from the Narnia soundtrack, it also sounds bad. Haha...

The Spell Begins to Break by Jon M.

Two years go by. I'm introduced to Christian fantasy books (the first being Raising Dragons by Bryan Davis.) Reading books really inspired me to write more music. When I was 14, I submitted one of my pieces to a contest. The grand prize was to head out to LA for three weeks, and to meet Mike Post, composer of Law and Order, Rockford Files, etc. Here's the song I submitted:

The Voyage by Jon M.

It's called The Voyage, inspired by The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. On April 14th, 2008, my mom got a phone call from Mike Post. As it turns out, I would have won the contest. But I was too young. But, he wanted me to come to LA anyways so we could talk, and he could show me what he does.
It was incredible. Summer came along, and my family and I flew out to LA. My mom and I went to his studio, and he gave us a tour, and then sat down and just told me what I needed to do, what I didn't need to do, and how to succeed. After going to LA, that's when I decided this is what I want to do.
So fast forward about 3.5 years. Music opportunities come and go. I slowly get more experienced... and here I am. In college. And that's my story. Now you know me!
Moving on... the comedy piece. Remember ages ago when I said I would compose a comedy piece and a sci-fi piece? Well, I meant to post the comedy piece ages ago, but never got around to it. So, here it is. I don't have a name for it... (and also, it ends abrubtly. I was going to add more, but I just didn't know what to add... any thoughts?) Here is (officially) the comedy genre:

The Comedy Piece by Jon M

The sci-fi piece is still a work in progress. Once I finish it, I'll post it.
I don't want to end on the comedy piece, so I'll post a song I just finished. A while back, I sat down to compose some epic trailer music, but then came up with this. It's like my first Celtic piece, but... epic. I call it Ever After. (No, not movie inspired... that's just the only name I could think up). This piece also ends slightly suddenly... don't know if I like it. What do you think?

Ever After (Celtic) by Jon M.

Lots and lots of music. Let me know what you think! This should make up for not posting for two months... I think the next genres I want to do are "spy" and "African". Haven't decided which one to do first...

Thanks for listening,

Jonathan Maiocco

16 comments:

  1. Oh, Jon, I am in raptures. Your Celtic piece literally brought me to tears...I've NEVER had a piece of music without words do that to me before. It is...WOW...I am beyond words for it....really I am.
    *long awed silence*
    *listens to it with obsessive repetition*
    It has such beauty, depth and feeling I am swept off my feet.

    Is your motto make them laugh make them cry? Because I was laughing on the inside with the comedy piece and crying for real with your Celtic piece....so amazing!

    Your first pieces are so fun to listen to and thank you for sharing more about your life! I wish I had asked more questions when I interviewed you! That is sooooo awesome about the doors and opportunities that God has opened for you with the talent He has given you and that you've so carefully developed. You have such an amazing gift Jon, and thank you for sharing it with us.

    My only thoughts towards the Celtic piece is if you would give us one more solid full cord around 3:06 (I think that is what it's called - it's been way too long since I had music lessons) before you let it fade. It's the only thing I can think of after listening to it several times.

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing more about yourself! It's awesome to get to know a guy as talented as you, and a Christian as well! They're aren't enough of you out there...

    The Spell Begins to Break: This is a cool insight into your early composing, thank you!

    The Voyage: I'm surprised at how similar this one is to the current VotDT soundtrack! They're not the same, but they use similar sounds. I like it! Very original.

    It's awesome that you *won* that contest!

    The Comedy Piece: Hmm, I like it, but it sounds too similar to Zimmer's Simpsons theme. Same instruments, similar beat. Although, at 1:26 it differed, and I liked that. Maybe call it "Summer Break"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever After: I love it! Another Celtic triumph. This one definitely had more of an epic feel than "The Wild Hills of Erin," but still had a closely similar theme in there at times. I could DEFINITELY hear this in a movie. The drop-off at the end can work with a scene, but not as a trailer piece by itself. It'd need something to follow after... great job anyhow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really awesome to see the evolution of your music Jon! Great work on the comedy piece especially. Kind of a side of your music we don't see much of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever After = EPIC. I love that! :D Absolutely magnificent!

    Seriously, the soundtrack of a movie makes or breaks it. If you ever composed for a good movie, it would be epic.

    Yeah, I think the end needs some sort of strong, full chord to finish it off. Me, being a guitar player, I don't really know how to explain it. It's like finishing a song with an E minor, y'know? I'd prefer a C to finish a song. Or a G.

    *nods*

    The comedy piece made me smile. It reminds me, a little, of a piece from Doctor Who. Donna's Theme, it's called. At least, at first. The ending was cool. XD

    Never mind. It doesn't sound at all similar. But it still reminds me of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OyVsrVGm_c

    Your first piece is still better than anything I could ever do. XD And the second piece is very cool.

    It's cool to see how your music has progressed and become more full and sweeping. *nods*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Jon! I'd send you this via email, but I couldn't find yours. This is Whisper, one of the Underground elves. I've been following your blog for a while, and you've got some splendid music. :) I was wondering, would there be any chance that I and some friends of mine could use a few of your soundtracks for an amateur video that we're making (just something we'll have on Youtube for a small group of friends)? We'd attribute the music to you in the credits (if you wouldn't mind being associated with our film, which could turn out to be a bit bizarre. :P)

    I understand entirely if you don't want us to - I'm rather ignorant about copyright laws and such - but I thought I might as well ask. :) It's entirely up to you.

    Thanks!
    -whisper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this post- it's so amusing and awesome to see... hear, rather... your musical growth :)

    I really had to chuckle during your beginning two songs- I don't know, it just tickled me.

    I thought the comedy piece was great, if not a little redundant. :) But still, totally awesome and it must have been totally fun to do :D

    And need I say, Ever After was one of the best things I've heard in my life... and I LOVED the ending <3

    Lord bless, and thank you for this post Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cause we're still best friends..November 8, 2011 at 5:05 AM

    Let's face it, you were like 13 when you wrote that Narnia piece? I'd say that's pretty good for a 13 year old. Not to be hatin on any 13 year old composers, though. But seriously, the two and half years that I've known you, you've grown SO much, and I think it's partially thanks to this blog.
    Great Celtic, its good. I don't care what you finish next, african, spy, PARTTYYYYYYY, or Sci-fi, but don't neglect your blog! We like music.
    and final thoughts..
    *Post asks Jon to LA* = "FAMILY VACA!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just listened to Ever After again. And again.

    This time, it sent shivers down my spine. Wow...that is some powerful music. If I were a composer, I'd compose THAT. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing how much you have progresssed!!!! I like the comedy piece. It sounded a bit like the music in Beauty and the Beast. I think it should end with a note the crescendos to a large boom, if that makes any sence. Ever After is gorgeous! One of my new favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Voyage: Nice work! Lewis would be proud, I think.

    Comedy: Fun, lively, and playful. Love it.

    Ever After: Wow. Wow. Did I say wow? This has to be one of your best pieces yet. Positively fantastic!

    And it was great to learn more about you and your "musical journey"... :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. The comedy piece I could see being put to a Tin Tin movie. (coming out December)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much everyone!
    @Jessica: thank you so much! :D yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe more of a solid chord at the end...
    @Noah: I like the name "Summer Break". It fits it very well! Also, I had never heard the Simpson theme before... wow, mine is a little close. Oops. Haha...
    @whisper: Sure, that's fine. Just go ahead and email me (jon(@)jonathanmaiocco(.)com)...
    @Cause we're...: you're the best. :)
    And I think that's about it... thanks to everyone! Hoping to post more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Ever After! But then, I kinda like celtic sounding music period.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Jon, very much! I'll send you an email when and if we decide to use some. It might take us a while to get to the editing stage.... :P

    -whisper

    ReplyDelete