Tuesday, December 27, 2011

End of the Year

Well. It's the end of the year. Crazy! I can't believe I have been running this blog for a whole year now. Time seriously flew.
I sat down and composed some African music. It's kind of short... it helped me get my ideas down. I did a lot of research on African instruments, etc. It was really neat. (My favorite African soundtrack of all time is Duma. Great soundtrack and movie. Also, Blood Diamondby my favorite, James Newton Howard, is really good too.)

African Style by Jon M. 2011

What do you think?

Also did some trailer music. Always a good time. Haha...

I Am Transformer by Jon M. 2011

Within this year, I composed to nine different genres: Action/Adventure, African, Arabian, Cartoon/Comedy, Celtic, Classical, Horror, Pirates, and Western. Personally, I think African, Classical, and Horror can be re-visited because there is so much more I could do within those genres.

Including this blog post, I posted 24 times. Within those posts, I posted 29 pieces, coming to a total of 72 minutes of music, averaging at roughly 2.5 minutes for each piece. (I posted music I have composed from whenever up to now. All the music combined from this year only comes to about 50.5 minutes, give or take.) From the pieces I composed this year, the longest piece was Ever After at 3:14, and the shortest was I Am Transformer at 1:22.

Answer some questions for me: out of all the songs I posted, which one was your favorite? Which one was your least favorite? What do you want to hear more of? What is something you want to hear that I haven't done?

Resolutions: compose more music. Compose longer pieces. Be more... epic. Most of all: compose a complete trailer music album and put it on iTunes. (#1 Goal.) Hold me to that.

Thanks for following my blog this year. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Thanks for listening,

Jonathan Maiocco

5 comments:

  1. The Africa one sounds cool! As it was simply exploring the instruments, you did a good job. ;) I'd like to hear more of this one day in the future?

    Now, the I Am Transformer one fit the name. It was also short, yes. I liked it, but it was *too* short. Just worth a quick listen though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever After was my favorite, and still is. I listen to it obsessively. ^_^

    My least favorite? I don't have one. ;)

    And I love epic Celtic music. You've already done two pieces, but I can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As to your new music:

    I really enjoyed the African piece. However, it felt more like a clip out of a movie ABOUT Africa rather than actually African. African music in Liberia (where I live) is generally repetitive and very much vocal, with a fast drumbeat that they can dance to. One song I know has just one line of lyrics that are repeated over and over, with a clapping beat to it.

    As for your other piece, I loved it, especially in the spots where a fast orchestra joined in. Really felt sci-fi ish..reminded me of TRON, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOOOOOOOVVVVE Beyond the Grave. I love your celtic peices and the Christmas pieces. My least favorite was... um.... I am Transformer and the House of Dark Shadows Action/Adventure thingy. Can't wait to buy you album from iTunes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. African style was really well done, it was fun and engaging and I really enjoyed it...

    But I LOVE THE TRANSFORMERS! It makes you hold your breath. When it hopes it almost has an underwater fell then there is that "bang" and suddenly you are on land and the whole thing unfolds...what is so epic about this piece is the music says for it's self what is going on, it is the movie...you can hear the gunshots, being hunted, and on the run...it's epic and has such a perfect trailer feel to it.

    Thanks for sharing Jon!

    ReplyDelete