Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Extinction

School is crazy right now! Absolutely crazy.
I wanted to post two things... first: my mission trip to the Dominican Republic (here-on simply called "DR") and two: an epic trailer piece that I just finished.
First, the mission trip: I traveled to the DR with 23 other people on Saturday, February 18th and got back Monday morning, Feb. 20th. (We had a 36-hour flight layover on the way back... but that's another story for another time). The trip was through my old high school, which sent me (as a leader), the high school's baseball team, and a couple other people. We not only served, but the baseball team (of course) played baseball. (Side note: I actual played one official inning in right field. It was legit. Sure, nobody hit it to me... but I was so ready. haha) Here are some pics that I took:

First, here's my bro pitching. Yeah, he's a stud.


The kids loved having their pictures taken. So I got some cool shots... 





The beach was incredible. We would go there every night just to unwind and think about the day. I could live there easily... God really knows how to make a good sunset.



 Not only was it an incredible trip, but it has really inspired me to live differently... for God. It has drawn me closer to God. There are three things I learned on the trip that I want to share:

1.) Talent. There was a juggler at the campus we were staying at. One night, he gave us his testimony... through juggling. It was absolutely incredible. (I wish I had filmed it!) It made me see that, no matter what your talent, if God is working through you, He can use you in ways you might not be able imagine. I've always seen my gift in music as... quite frankly, a little wimpy. I really want to be "out in the midst of it all," witnessing to "unreached people groups," digging wells, leading people to Christ, etc. But sitting inside all day composing music? What? Uh... that sounds a little boring. But I realized that, just like the juggler, even if a gift seems "wimpy" or not-very-important, if you are following God and He is using you and the gifts He has given you, the possibilities are endless! Which leads me to...
2.) Don't limit God. I feel so much that I limit God all the time. I think to myself, "Yeah, I'll be a film composer because that's what I'm good at and that's all God has for me..." Well... no. Not necessarily. The Bible says that if you trust in God, and follow Him, He will direct your paths (Prov. 3:5-6). But for the longest time, I have been assuming where those paths would lead. Honestly, I don't have a clue where they will lead me! I'm assuming it will deal with music... but who knows? I mean really? Lastly...
3.) Priorities. Honestly, I get rapped up in life pretty easily. I am distracted on a daily basis. School. Music. Life. But when my life ends, will I look back and regret what I did with my time given on earth? A friend of mine told me recently told me that "if you do something for 10,00 hours, you are a professional at it." At this rate, I am a professional sleeper. And procrastinator. And I am almost to a point of being a professional movie watcher. It's time I get me priorities straight and focus on what matters.

I don't mean to preach or anything... just wanted to share!

To the music: I just composed an epic trailer piece that I call Extinction. It will be on the trailer album that I am hoping to release on iTunes sometime this summer. Please comment and let me know what you think... (I went more electronic/FX for this piece, and I didn't know if it was the right route to take...)



Thanks for listening,

Jonathan Maiocco

5 comments:

  1. The trip sounds like it was awesome. Thanks for the pictures! I enjoy it when you post this sort of thing. :)

    Now for the track... :D Trailer music is definitely its own genre. I really like this one! The gaps are perfect for the trailer (whatever it ends up being), and so is the repeated theme from about 0:30 onward. Up until 0:40, it really sounded similar to Inception. Not completely in the FX choice, but in the throbbing beat every few seconds. I liked how it changed, though, and it didn't rely on Inception to make it cool. The plethora of instruments that join in the theme repetition are cool! As I write, I'm replaying it because I can hear it often without it getting old.

    I like the new player! Yes, I think it should start playing immediately, since it's at the top and easy to pause if undesired. (though I enjoy it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael AlexanderMarch 21, 2012 at 8:30 PM

    awesome Jon, loved reading your post! The trip sounded amazing and you are a great photographer by the way! True story no limits on God! Thanks for sharing your journey truly inspiring :). I think this is the song you played for us in class? Great job nonetheless can't wait to hear more from you and work with you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an amazing trip! And your post definitely gave me some things to think about... Thanks for sharing - priorities are really something I've been having to think about. Quote I read recently: "How can you pull down strongholds of Satan if you don't even have the strength to turn off your TV?" -Ravenhill :P

    And I wanted to let you know that the music came this week! Thanks again! I will definitely be enjoying it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really really good quote! Wow... thank you for sharing it.
      And awesome, music got in! Good news. haha, thanks!

      Delete
  4. Oh, boy I have been reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllyyyyyy bad about not commenting *bangs head* *ahem* *hates busy life*

    Ouch, I needed to read this post again. Right now I am def a professional sleeper and too busy...too busy for what is really important in my life. THANK YOU for sharing Jon.

    Back to the subject...
    Love the opening...for once I don't really know what to say. It's so beautiful the movement and feeling of the piece are so intertwined, each sound has an emotion attached to it, a feeling of survival, a pushing to the end...you titled it very well.

    ReplyDelete