Saturday, July 28, 2012

Practically There

I am done with composing, artwork, uploading, etc. Now it's being "delivered" to the stores, aka iTunes, Amazon, etc. Right now, Amazon has it on there website (link) but it won't be available till August 6th. (It's so surreal to see that on Amazon. haha)

I hate to say this, but I'm going to: I took Ever After off the album. A lot of people told me to keep it on, but I just didn't feel like it fit the album. Maybe one day I'll post it as a single? We'll see.

Anyways. I wanted to post two things:

1.) the artwork:


I collaborated with my brother, who is an artist and knows all about Photoshop, and this is the final product. (Thanks Mikey!) What do you think?

And 2.) I wanted to post one of my old pieces. Now, before you listen to it, I have a story to tell:

Back in the day, when I was 12 give or take, I didn't read. One day, my mom got me a book called Raising Dragons. I was like, "Ehh, OK, I'll give it a shot..." Loved it. In fact, still love it. While I was reading it, I heard music in my head. It was almost like watching a film without music: I would see "the film" in my head, and then I would subconsciously supply the music. At the time, I didn't realize this wasn't... normal. haha. Time went on, I read more books (like Narnia and The Door Within) and composed more music in my head. Long story short: my parents got me some beginner's music software, and I started writing. One of the first things I composed was for Raising Dragons, and this is what it was:



When I first composed this piece, I thought it was the best thing I had ever composed, and that I would never compose anything better. I was very proud of my work. Now, looking back, it's almost funny to listen to. It's pretty cheesy. Why did I post this? Why didn't I post something new or something better? Good question. haha. The reason I posted it is this: we all start somewhere, we all have beginnings. I didn't sit down and compose a masterpiece in my first shot. In fact, I still haven't. But back in the day, six years ago, God showed me a gift He gave me. At the time, I didn't understand exactly where it would take me or what the outcome would be. I still don't. But I knew, and still know, that He has a plan for me and He'll use my gift somehow. That piece, the Dragons in Our Midst "Theme Song" was a marker for me on that journey. While it seems silly, it was a marker. Now, this album is another marker on my journey. One day, I might look back and say this was all pretty silly. Who knows. But one thing I do know is this: the journey isn't over yet. And one more thing: if God has given you a gift, use it. If it's from God, don't worry about how He'll use your gift, He just will. If it's writing, music, sports, speaking, even composing like me... He'll use it in ways you could never imagine.

I'll let you guys know when it's up on iTunes. In the mean time, I am going to compose some non-epic music. More to come on that.

Thanks for listening,

Jonathan Maiocco

4 comments:

  1. YAHOO!!!!!!!! SUPER EXCITED!!!!! Too bad this font can't get bigger... Hmm I am going to be out of town on the 6th but I am PRAYING I have internet because I am buying it the moment it's available!!!! Your music will be the perfect stress relief for that week. Thank you for working towards what God has called you to do, it's a beautiful God given talent and I am so excited to see the way it's being used in your life! Thanks for sharing Jon!

    God bless!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Great job on getting the texture fixed. ;) I'm listening to the samples on Amazon, and I can't wait for the release!

    While listening to "Beyond Death" I had a small revelation. It sounds a lot like a mix between the soundtracks to Last of the Samurai and The Lion King. Does that sounds odd? Maybe it is, heh.

    Anyway, great work! I look forward to your non-epic mastery as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol listening to Dragons in Our Midst theme. It reminds me of the songs for the cartoon version of the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. They had some pretty cheesy songs too in them.
    By the way, are you the person who wrote the song H2O that's on youtube?

    ReplyDelete