Friday, May 2, 2014

My Favorite 2013 Soundtracks

Recently, I've been haunted by the saying, "You are what you eat." I think it's totally true. But - I think it applies to more than food. I think it also applies to music - you are what you listen to. I strive to be a music omnivore, to listen to anything and everything, so that the music I write can be influenced by a wide variety of sound and color. But I used to not be this way. I used to only listen to soundtracks. Only soundtracks. I was adamant. And what I didn't realize was that I was hurting myself by not branching out. Now, I listen to classical, jazz, pop, rock, world, rap... anything. New things are great. But I still, and always will, have a sweet tooth for soundtracks.

Here are some of my favorite desserts from 2013.

Man of Steel  by Hans Zimmer. 


I'm not the biggest Hans Zimmer fan in the world. I guess I'm hipster like that and try to shoot for more non mainstream film composers. But with this soundtrack, Hans Zimmer literally redeemed himself in my eyes. It's simple, it's exciting... it's everything a superhero soundtrack should be. One of my favorite tracks from this soundtrack is Tornado.



Oblivion by M83 (and Anthony Gonzalez and Joseph Trapanese)


This movie came out and seemed to disappear. I don't know why - I personally loved it. And even though the soundtrack is a little generic (TRON meets [put generic epic movie soundtrack here]) it's still totally worth the listen. I love to listen to this soundtrack when reading.




Now You See Me by Brian Tyler and a bunch of electronic music people.


I have been a Brian Tyler fan from the beginning. Everyone knows him now for all of his recent work - Thor 2, Iron Man 3, Fast Five... I know him for Timeline, The Greatest Game Ever Played, Eagle Eye... all of his older soundtracks. And now this soundtrack - Now You See Me - showed me a new side of Tyler. It's fun, fast, catchy... totally perfect for the movie.




Elysium by Ryan Amon.


I recommend this movie with reservation - if you're not one for violence and language, then stay away. But if you can grit through it - I thought this movie totally rocked. The soundtrack though is what did me in. If you get a chance, read this article about Ryan Amon and how he got this job. He is a cool dude. One of my most favorite tracks from the movie (You Have No Idea) is below. I really like to listen to this soundtrack while running.



Gravity by Steven Price


This soundtrack was nominated for a Golden Globe and an Oscar, and took the Oscar home. Which is more than deserved. This soundtrack is literally mind blowing and unlike anything ever made. (And if you haven't seen the movie... the same follows for it. Go see it as soon as you can.) I can't really choose a favorite track for this soundtrack, because they are all so great. But the last track gives me goosebumps every time, so I'll post that. Also, I love to run to this soundtrack too.



You have any favorite desserts? Comment, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for listening,

Jonathan Maiocco

4 comments:

  1. Hans Zimmer is definitely my favorite composer, and Man of Steel my favorite '13 soundtrack. I recently rediscovered his work on "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron", however; I was surprised both by the movie and the soundtrack. Usually childhood flicks aren't as good as you remember; this one was better. And the soundtrack is right up there with How To Train Your Dragon as my favorite score. (And "Run Free" is right up with "Coming Back Around". In case you haven't noticed, I love soundtracks with strong and soaring themes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Spirit soundtrack is so great, totally agree with you on that! And yes - How to Train Your Dragon. So great. Soaring themes is where it's at haha. :) thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm... let's see. The soundtrack to Winter's Tale was good. Wait... that came early this year so I guess it doesn't count. It's on Spotify. I needed some nice, mysterious music to listen to as I write. It was partially done by Hans Zimmer... and someone else.
    The soundtrack for the Croods wasn't bad... the movie was surprisingly good and had character development. Yes, recently my sister and I have been discovering interesting styles of music (like folk, for example, but NOT country/southern style folk)
    Plumb is a Christian music artist (Beautiful History and Children of the Heavenly Father are a few of my favorite songs done by her) who has a beautiful, unique style all of her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard Winter's Tale. I'll check that one out!
      Yeah, I agree - The Croods soundtrack was actually pretty good. There were some great cues on that - love the percussion.
      And I'm definitely all about me getting some new Christian artists, so I'll definitely check them out! Thanks!

      Delete